Delicious carrot dog with cheesy Ziggy Fries
- 1.5 kg Ziggy Fries
- 20 carrots (about 50 g each)
- 100 g Japanese soy sauce
- 100 g sweet soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoke powder (available
- at wholesalers)
- 1 tsp powdered coriander
- 20 ml apple vinegar
- 150 g mayonnaise
- 75 g sharp French mustard
- 200 ml smoked oil
- 50 g salt
- 2 shallots, sliced into rings
- 50 g flour
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp white wine
- 250 ml single cream (for cooking)
- 250 g Cheddar, grated
- 10 hot dog buns/rolls, baked
- pea sprouts or other greens
The hot dog is currently experiencing a revival, and this recipe is a perfect fit for any contemporary menu. Changing the texture of the carrots results in a deliciously different hot dog that will surprise even avid meat-lovers. A dollop of mustard-mayonnaise will only stress the smokiness even more and the deep-fried shallots add a crispy touch. Served with Ziggy Fries and cheese sauce, this dish will be the real top dog!
- Peel the carrots and blanch them in boiling water with some salt until they are just about cooked. Remove from the pan and allow to drain for a few minutes.
- Mix the other ingredients and pour them over the carrots. If you have a vacuum machine, you can vacuum pack the carrots with the marinade. Otherwise, just make sure to regularly rotate the carrots. Leave to marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Pat the marinated carrots dry and leave them to dry in a dehumidifier at 50°C for about 4 hours.
- For the mustard mayonnaise, mix all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt. Pour the sauce into a spray bottle and store it in the fridge.
- Cover the shallots in flour and tap off any excess. Deep-fry the shallots in oil at 160°C.
- For the cheese sauce, pan-fry the sliced shallots in some oil. Add some salt and pepper to taste, and deglaze with the vinegar and wine.
- Allow them to cook briefly before adding the cream and gently simmer for a few minutes.
- Pass the cream mixture through a sieve and add the grated cheese. Season to taste. Be sure to cover the sauce with some foil to prevent a skin from forming on the surface.
- Deep-fry the Ziggy Fries at 175°C for about 3 minutes.
- Brown the carrots in a frying pan with some oil.
- Cut the buns along the top and place one or two carrot-dogs inside.
- Top them off with a generous dollop of the mustard mayonnaise, the shallots, and the garnish.
- Serve with the Ziggy Fries and the warm cheese sauce.