Sweet potato fries with tom kha gai foam and lemongrass shrimp satay
Sweet Potato Fries
- 1 kg Sweet Potato Fries
Tom kha gai foam
- 200 g coconut cream
- 200 ml Thai chicken stock (chicken stock with galangal, lemongrass and lime leaf)
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 cm galangal
- 4 leaves lime leaf
- 10 stalks coriander
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 50 ml nam pla/fish sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 100 ml liquid egg white
Lemongrass prawn satay
- 10 stalks lemongrass
- 500 g tiger prawns, peeled
- 50 g pork fat
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- mint and Thai basil
- lime or kaffir lime
This is the essence of Thai cuisine packed into ONE super tasty and exciting dish. The sweet, sour, salty and umami tom kha gai foam incorporates all the main basic flavours of Thai cuisine, while the tiger prawn adds a surprising touch. Made from minced prawns and a stalk of lemongrass, these satay skewers are both fresh and aromatic. Add to that a base of Sweet Potato Fries, and you’re ready to serve world-class quality food!
- Put all the ingredients for the tom kha gai, except the egg white, in a suitable pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low heat, then pour through a fine-mesh sieve. If necessary, season with more fish sauce and lime juice. The mixture should be high in flavour before you add the egg white.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes and mix with the egg white.
- Pour through a sieve into a half-litre siphon and aerate with a cartridge. You can heat the foam in a double boiler at 65°C just before use.
- For the prawn satay, blend the peeled prawns with the pork fat, curry paste, garlic, shallot, egg white, and fish sauce into a fine mince.
- Clean the lemongrass stalks and cut them to equal size.
- Divide the mince into 10 portions and knead around the lemongrass stalks by hand. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Grill the prawn satay all around until golden brown and cooked through.
- Deep fry the Sweet Potato Fries at 175°C for about 2:30 minutes.
- Spoon onto trays or plates.
- Pipe a generous portion of the foam into a bowl and serve immediately alongside the Sweet Potato Fries and shrimp satay. Garnish with lime and Thai basil.